[thelist] Cold Fusion session variables

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Mon Sep 17 16:02:47 CDT 2001

Hi Matt,

> I was wondering if anyone knew how to set up a jscript alert
> window or for
> that matter a <cf_alert window, when a session has timed out.

Since a session is "prodded", or the timer reset, every time a ColdFusion page is loaded, one could assume that if the page has not been changed in the allowed timeout period, the session is reset.

What the people at BOA do is use a simple JavaScript timer on every page (client-side - purely independent of the application server) that counts down the (already known) session timeout, then pops up the confirm button 30 seconds before the session actually times out.  If you confirm that you are still using the session, the javascript sends a small http request, prodding the server, thereby resetting your session timeout timer.

> Does anyone use bank of america online banking?

You should be able to logon to BOA's logon banking and use "view source" to have a look at their JavaScript, or you can build one yourself fairly simply.  Javascript's timer functions are very straightforward.

Regards,

Seth