[fwd] Re: [thelist] Site not available? - Update

Richard Bennett mail at richardinfo.com
Tue Sep 18 10:32:55 CDT 2001

hi,
<. Try using the providers (gofast.net)
Indeed, these seem to work well.

<> appears to be behind a firewall which is hiding ICMP traffic
Correct, the server is behind a very restrictive firewall.

> In Windows 2000, you can have as many DNS servers as you wish. Simply
> click on the "Advanced" button in the IP config dialog, and select the
> DNS tab.
In my case the "new" button grays-out after I have added two.

> One last thing you can check to try and narrow the problem is to always
> use the IP number in the address bar of the browser. This takes the DNS
> out of the loop (i.e. "http://209.46.83.16/").
This doesn't really make much difference, I still get connection, but timing
out sometimes, and very slow.

I managed to get the site working for me in IE5.5 by activating "Use proxy
server" (and settings this to my ISPs proxy-server)
so the main problem is solved.

Thanks for all comments.

Richard.