[thelist] [fwd] Cookie Support

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Wed Sep 19 05:52:55 CDT 2001

On 18 Sep 2001, at 17:10, Matt Feldman posted a message which said:

> Does anyone no a good way of detecting whether cookies have been turned
> off in a browser?  Meaning the browser supports cookies, but the user
> has disabled them?

Use unique user_id cookies. If a user doesn't give you his user_id cookie
when he asks for a page, assign him one.

If a user shows an HTTP_REFERER of a page that should have set
that user_id cookie, and the user does not give you the cookie data
with the page request, then cookies aren't enabled.

It's impossible to distinguish browsers with cookies deliberately
disabled from browsers without cookie support, for the reason that
browsers can claim to be other browsers.

deke

 "The church is near but the road is icy;
  the bar is far away but I will walk carefully."
                            -- Russian Proverb