[thelist] failure notice (& CF TIP)

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Wed Sep 19 09:20:36 CDT 2001

One more tip while people are tossing them about about virii and windows..

Search your IIS server for a file called root.exe and delete it - if you
have it you've been compromised. *NO* patches from MS delete this file.

Ironically, I blogged this last week:
root.exe allows anyone on the internet to have commands on the machine
executed with web server privileges, and can typically be used to set up
logging of credit card information and other sensitive data on SSL
servers. This has created a new class of ecommerce site which has been
correctly patched for known server vulnerabilities, but have a live
backdoor facility enabling attackers to continue to remain in control of
the machine.

typcially you'll find the file in the inetpub/scripts directory. I had
four clients yesterday who had their machines 100% patched, but were
still being controlled through the root.exe file. whats more scary is
13% of *SSL* IIS websites on the internet have the root.exe exploit
installed on them according to Netcraft..

.djc.