[thelist] failure notice (& CF TIP)

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Wed Sep 19 12:07:56 CDT 2001

> > If one does not have that file, or any other symptoms of the
> virus, except
> > for an AV program reporting that Admin.dll and a bunch of scripts in the
> > C:\Inetpub\scripts\ directory are all infected, do I have it or not?
> >
> > It's kind of strange, those files are clearly infected, but my
> AV program
> > does not seem to be able to delete them.
>
> Because IIS has them open?
>
> Shut the 'IIS Admin Service' - it'll bring the rest of IIS
> down with it.  Then try again.

At first, yes - good call. However, this AM I shut IIS and all of its
co-conspirators down, and even booted into safe mode and disconnected my
network cable from the cable modem - and STILL had the same problem.

> Incidentally, you don't really need admin.dll unless you
> *really* need Frontpage extensions...  get rid of your
> Frontpage extensions installation if you can.

Thanks so much for the tip - I was wondering if maybe I could do something
like that, but didn't know that's what Admin.dll was for. I will surely get
rid of FP Extensions and see if that makes a difference. But what about all
those scripts? I wonder why they keep coming back - even when I'm not
connected to the net!

BH