[thelist] Virtual PC as a Windows testing environment in a Mac World

Michael Barrett mbarrett at triad.rr.com
Thu Sep 20 13:54:22 CDT 2001

Hello eVolters

I've been considering two options for testing my comps and HTML templates
for browser happiness.
I work primarily on a Mac at my office, university office, and my home
office.

At my 'formal' office I have access to windows machines to test on, as I do
at the university where I teach.

However I do the majority of my work at my home office, with nary a PC to be
found.

I'm considering:
1. Buying a beater of a PC to test on.
Pros:
Learn the windows environment and hardware better.
No mysterious goobers from emulated environment.
Cons:
More expensive (I can purchase emulation software cheap with the academic
discount)
<sarcasm/>Doesn't match my décor

Or

2. Buying Virtual PC and adjusting my monitor gamma to compensate for colors
Pros:
Cheaper (I can purchase emulation software cheap with the academic discount)
Takes up less desk space.
<sarcasm/>Feng Shui is undisturbed.
Cons:
Monitor color, even with gamma adjustment may not be accurate
Might run like a slug on crutches.
Emulation environment might introduce wacky variables into browser
operation.

<suckup/>What do you fine, gifted, skilled individuals recommend?

-- Michael Barrett
-O^O-
 -

mbarrett at triad.rr.com