[thelist] DSL - ISP question

Ron_Senykoff at BEAEROSPACE.COM Ron_Senykoff at BEAEROSPACE.COM
Thu Sep 20 15:11:42 CDT 2001

<snip>
Now, not knowing a thing about DSL, I am wondering how this will work.
We'll
get a DSL modem from qwest, and we'll always be connected (with a static IP
I assume), but how does the ISP fit into the picture? How is it similar
to/different from a dial-up account? (I mean other than the fact that
voice/data go over the same line and you don't have to dial up and all
that.) Any help will be *greatly* appreciated.
</snip>

http://www.dslreports.com/

This site is great for DSL info, reviews, FAQs, etc.  I found it a great
resource before getting DSL, and continue to use it now that I have DSL as
well.  Also, don't assume that you'll be getting a static IP... I had to
switch from Bellsouth to Telocity (now DirecTVDSL) because I wanted a
static IP.

Good luck!
-Ron