[thelist] Net connection problems

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Fri Sep 21 15:30:51 CDT 2001

Hi guys.

I don't know if any of you in other countries (i.e., not India) have faced
this problem, but here goes anyway.

I'm facing a problem here with my Net connection (56K modem). I dial in,
check my mail, etc., start browsing, but about 2-3 minutes later, Internet
Explorer stops loading sites. I thought it was a browser problem, but it's
not. The DNS lookup fails, I can't ping, and the only way to get on the Net
is to disconnect and try again, which again spawns the same cycle. My Net
connections are restricted to 2 minutes at a time. In fact, I'm squeezing
this mail out in my the short window that I have.

One of my friends here has a connection with another ISP and he too is
facing the same problem. This has been going on since last night. Any idea
what could be happening? Do you think this could have anything to do with
that cable connection problem to Asia? (though the India to US cable is
different, I think)
(http://singapore.cnet.com/news/communications/story/0,2000027545,38016472,00.htm)?

Have any of you faced the same problem with your ISP? And what could be the
cause? Anything I should try? Any public DNS servers I can specify instead
of my ISP's?

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant