[thelist] Converting Video Files

Glenn Hunt ghunt at hds.ca
Mon Sep 24 00:22:55 CDT 2001

I would suspect that you don't have the proper codec installed for the
avi file. [AVI files are not of a specific format - just a media file
type. There are dozens of different codecs, and you need to have the
right one.]

Try just playing the AVI in Windows Media Player - if it plays, then you
have the codec. Watch carefully, as Media Player will attempt to
download then necessary codec if it doesn't already have it. If it does
download it and plays the file successfully, then you should be set.

Otherwise you will have to get a free command line tool called aviinfo
(I have a copy if you need one). You run it against the avi file, and it
tells you the name of the codec that you need. Let me know if you need
it.

Glenn Hunt
ghunt at hds.ca