[thelist] freelancing work )

Beau Hartshorne beau at members.evolt.org
Tue Sep 25 11:17:46 CDT 2001

I had this discussion a few months back with some of thelist members.
For the risk of liability, they suggested that I incorporate. I did some
additional research of my own, and agreed that it was the right thing to
do. The problem is that you may develop your first site today, and in 5
years something could go wrong. Even if you are no longer developing
sites, or if you're a much better programmer after 5 years' experience,
you will still be held personally liable for whatever errors were made 5
years ago. You cannot sell or transfer this liability, unless you can
(with permission) destroy the site.

Of course you should always try to produce the best possible and most
secure solution. This is your best insurance.

As far as where to go from where you are (after you're incorporated),
well what do you know how to do? Can you code html? Do you know any
dynamic scripting languages (php/asp/cfm/jsp/etc)? How are your database
development skills? Have you found a patient client?

Cheers,

Beau