[thelist] win yourself some Amazon vouchers

Jon Haworth jhaworth at witanjardine.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 14:20:06 CDT 2001

> the sort of feedback I'm looking for: any comments regarding display,
> accessibility, download times, functionality issues, browser related info,
> screenshots, usability comments.
>
> feedback I don't wanna hear: "I don't like the colours", "I got a
JavaScript
> error" (be specific), "page looks sort of funny"... you get the gist...
>
> home page URL:  http://www.accurum.net/estores/eurosimm.nsf/master

The possibility of winning an Amazon voucher is just too much.... must
resist.... resist.... noooooooo...... <starts browser>

IE 6.0, Windows 2000, 1280 x 1024, small fonts. Looks good, not at all funny
- I didn't get any Javascript errors either :-)

- the green background at the top doesn't extend all the way to the right,
and leaves the "account login" as yellow text on a white background, it took
me a while to notice it, especially as the body text goes all the way to the
right of the window. Perhaps make this bigger (unless this was the intent,
of course)

- the left nav is a bit confusing. I clicked on "products" and then wanted
to see the "news" section, but I couldn't without backtracking and drilling
down again. How about a collapsing/expanding set of menus instead? It's
there for the product catalogue, shame it's not around for the whole
navigation.

- on the "contact us" page, while I like the effect of a swapped image as
you rollover each e-mail address, I'd personally prefer to see what they all
are in advance rather than roll over them all (it's sort of like mystery
meat navigation, only not quite so annoying). Something like:

(sales at eurosimm.com)</p>

would be better IMHO.

- it's good that you link to the manufacturers' sites, if I need to check
compatibility or anything I always want this facility. However it seems a
bit strange that you have to go to the links page and scroll down to your
manufacturer as opposed to just linking it from the product catalogue. If
I'm looking at
http://www.accurum.net/estores/eurosimm.nsf/ReadIndex/DDAN-4ZNGEC, I'd
really like the "Manufacturer: Toshiba" to be a link.

- the "tools" page: do you really need this? I have the time and a
calculator within 0.5 seconds of my hands every time I'm sitting in front of
my PC. I'm personally a big fan of "if you don't absolutely need it, get rid
of it", but I understand this might be a minority view...

- again, do you *really* need breaking news headlines on your "news" page? I
was expecting company news, but instead I found myself looking at
Taliban-related stories (yet again) - you're a hardware distributor, right?
Why the news feed? Think Unix (one tool = very specific, lean, works
perfectly) as opposed to Windows (one tool = tries to do everything, far too
bloated for its own good) The hardware peripheral news is possibly the most
relevant section in the context of your site, but it appears at the bottom.

- on the "about us" page, the manufacturer logos don't have width and height
tags, so the page wobbles while they load (looks a bit unprofessional)

'tis a fine site, overall.

Cheers
Jon

'The information included in this Email is of a confidential nature and is
intended only for the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee,
any disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and may be
unlawful. Disclosure to any party other than the addressee, whether
inadvertent or otherwise is not intended to waive privilege or confidentiality'