[thelist] Best Practices for building a zip/postal code based dealer locator

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Wed Sep 26 18:48:15 CDT 2001

| Can anyone who has built something like this share your
| experience on the
| best practices on how to go about building this and pitfalls
| to watch out
| for would also be greatly appreciated. If anyone has any
| boxed solutions
| they can recommend that would also be great.

Wow,

All these issues in a row where I've just done some work.

Must be like the tide, 'cause I was pretty dry for a while.

Bryce, does your application have to be only supported in the States? What
about international postal codes?

If it is in the states only, you will have no trouble. All postal codes are
highly specific and reliable to determine a particular area. The area's
geographic size will vary considerably, however. The plus 4 extension will
get you more accurate locating, usually by block or street.

International will be more difficult. You would have to collect a database
of all international postal codes. This will be so much fun, because there
are so many different postal authorities to deal with.

And you thought our government was hard to deal with!

<rory alt="8)"/>