[thelist] going solo?

Jack Hand jackhand at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 28 15:40:01 CDT 2001

Glenn,

  I sub-contract.  The contracting agent gets about 30%.
However, I get paid as a W2 (the agent takes care of taxes
and SS).  I also work away from home, so I get a tax free
per diem.  And, since I do not live high on the hog, much
of the per diem goes in my pocket.

  Also, by sub-contracting, I don't have to spend time
searching for that next job.  I have agents searching for
me.  And, when I am finishing one contract, I put the word
out that I am going to be available soon.  So, I get to take
my pick of the jobs that are available.  Since I work away
from home, I get to pick interesting jobs in interesting
locations.  Win/win.

  In about 15 years of contracting, every time except one,
I finished one job on a Friday and started the next the
following Monday.

        Jack