[thelist] PHP and/or ColdFusion?

Raymond Camden jedimaster at macromedia.com
Mon Oct 1 08:18:36 CDT 2001

> Dear evolta,
> After gaining two years' experience in ColdFusion, I'm
> looking to expand my knowledge and have considered PHP and
> integration with ColdFusion. However, after reading the
> introduction to several PHP books, I get the impression that
> the two are not complementary products, but substitute products.

Like CF and ASP - they are not things you can do together on the same
page... however, you can use both technologies on the same web site. So,
you can have one file be a PHP file and one be a CF file.

> Does anyone have experience in either or both? I'd like to
> "graduate" from ColdFusion and add another language to my
> toolkit. I would appreciate any direction. Thanks, all.

Well, I wouldn't call leaving CF for PHP graduating, but I'm a bit
biased. ;) That being said, while I don't think PHP is as good as CF
(surprise surprise), I _do_ think PHP is a damn good scripting language.
If I couldn't use Java or CF, PHP would be my #1 choice, certainly above
ASP.

Raymond Camden, Principal Spectra Compliance Engineer for Macromedia

Email    : jedimaster at macromedia.com
Yahoo IM : morpheus