[thelist] PHP/Javascript/NN/sessions

Bill Haenel bill at ncpr.org
Mon Oct 1 15:38:05 CDT 2001

Is there a lag time issue when sending strings via session to a new window?
Here's the issue:

- I start a session using PHP
- I register strings for the session
- I set the values of those strings using info submitted from a form
- I open a new window using JavaScript
- I start the session to access the strings
- I write HTML links with PHP using the strings from the session

This all works very well, and when you click on the links, they all go to
the right place, EXCEPT in NN4.7 on the first load-up.

In order for the links to work in NN4.7, the window must be refreshed. The
strings from the session are making it to the page, and when I view source,
I can see that everything was written properly. However, the string values
are obviously not making it into the page before the HTML is written or
something, because it doesn't work the way I expect.

Is there a lag time due to the fact that I am using PHP sessions?

I realize this whole thing can be done with JavaScript, and I used to do it
that way, but there were some cross-browser issues with the JavaScript, and
I needed to use the strings for a session.

Anyway, I can't figure out why the string data isn't making it to the page
before the HTML is written, and I especially don't understand why it is only
happening in Netscape.

Weird.

BH