[thelist] Mac/IE layer positioning issue

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Mon Oct 1 15:50:02 CDT 2001

> http://averra.com/mstest/testing.htm
>
> The dot should fall in the middle of the square - have tried
> adding tables,
> removing tables, adding a 'layer' tag for Netscape changing the
> 'div' tag to
> a span and nothing seems to give the cross platform/browser results.
>
> Am beginning to think common code is a lost cause and that will
> have to use
> two different stylesheets. Although, Bill, you mentioned that you
> were able
> to get your page to work across all browsers and all platforms - howja do
> it???

For starters, in order to get both IE and NN to find 0,0 in the same place
on the page, regardless of tables, etc., you need to set margins that both
browsers understand like the following:

I am neither a CSS or layer guru by any means, but after extensive reading
and searching, I was unable to determine how to do the above using CSS. I
was able to set margins, but not NN compatible ones. That, however, is
probably a lack of knowledge on my part. IN the end it was just easier to do
this part of our code using old, deprecated HTML. Whatever works, right?

Anyway, as I said, to make 0,0 the same for both browsers, set them up using
all of the above attributes.

BH