[thelist] WYSIWYG x-browser design - is it a reality?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 2 07:50:40 CDT 2001

> From: "isaac" <isaac at members.evolt.org>
>
> I think that anyone using absolutely raw notepad is unnecessarily
> torturing themselves. Besides using fewer system resources, I fail to
> see the advantage. I'd assume that there are many small, freeware text
> editors out there that still assist with colour-coding, and whatever
> else, without sacrificing speed, code clarity, etc.

using notepad makes me gritty... it makes me hard-core...

actually, the reason i use notepad primarily is because everywhere
i've ever worked, and now any client i go visit, it's guaranteed to be
there...

there have been many jobs where my machine was there, but didn't
have internet access yet (to get my editor of choice), and i had to
start working... other jobs where they had an editor in house that
you *had* to use, so if you switch jobs, you've got to re-learn... and
now as i go visit clients and work on their servers and even regular
computers, it's all they've got....

oddly, when i recently fired up HTML-Kit, the color coding actually
*confused* me... strangest damn thing... i rely on code formatting
and the like to tell me what is what, but it was coloring stuff
everywhere more than it needed to be colored, and sometimes
completely different things were the same color...

i know this is only me... and i'm not saying notepad is a great
editor.... but i find it very difficult to switch off of it now...

hey, i don't smoke or drink, allow me this one vice...