[thelist] Re: [thechat] ASP vs. ASP.Net - Anyone made the move?

jay.blanchard at thermon.com jay.blanchard at thermon.com
Tue Oct 2 09:15:49 CDT 2001

<snip>My biggest hurdle right now is ADO.NET - in my mind it is not quite as
logical, but I am starting to wrap my head around it. Very powerful.</snip>

Part of my point yesterday during these "initial" discussions was just
that...not only would ASP.Net have to happen, but ADO.Net, and possibly a
slew of other .Nets as well. Not that I am against that....

It's not the technology...it's the time.

Many of us work well past the 8 hour theoretical work limit in a day,
finding time to perhaps read half a chapter or less of any technical
reference in any given day...broadening our horizons so to speak. Putting
what we have learned into practice is a different piece of pie. Mostly we
wait for a new project to come down the pipe before implementing new
techno-toys.

<snip>You can move to .NET without crippling your .asp pages, they'll run in
tandem with the .aspx ones. And still use the old asp.dll
  From my experience you can also change your .asp pages to .aspx without
too much hassle, it really depends on how the app was written.</snip>

Excellent! This will put off any "do-overs" on existing stuff for a while.
Is the "<%%>" really gone, or does it still exist even in .Net when
converting? Just locating those little tags could be a costly,
time-consuming, exercise in thousands of ASP pages. You can't just
eliminate them, can you?!

We are embarking on a new Intranet (from the ground up) project...I could
apply the new technology there and then start to migrate other
pages/applications down the road.

Thanks!

Jay Blanchard
Web Development Manager