[thelist] code standards guide

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Tue Oct 2 09:47:27 CDT 2001

me 2, I also got one of these on the back burner.
It's a tricky task as you are trying to distill years of experience into
something digestible and edifying.

For my purposes, I have decided not to make it exhaustive, or a
reference as such, more a style guide. Perhaps you are in a different
situation, but the people who I'd like to read this stuff  are exactly
the people who feel like they either know all there is to know already,
or think its just html and why would anyone care? So it needs to be
carefully targetted. New staff are one thing - you usually have the
opportunity download a load of  "this is how we do it" type of stuff,
existing staff are more my problem...

I write a lot of implementation guides for clients and the real trick is
getting anyone to read them. With that in mind, in terms of form, I've
settled on a page of links to other useful resources and references, and
some tips and demos.

I've still got to find the right tone though. I can't make it didactic,
more succint and matter-of-fact..

Sam