[thelist] lotus notes beginners advice

Ron_Senykoff at BEAEROSPACE.COM Ron_Senykoff at BEAEROSPACE.COM
Tue Oct 2 12:19:58 CDT 2001

<snip>
I have been offered a possible job doing some database design and building
web application around it.

nothing difficult there.

except it's got to be on Lotus Notes/Domino, and I have never even seen the
box the software comes in, let alone developed on it.

Can anyone give me any URL pointers, or even some plain old advice on what
to start thinking about with this? I hear it's ODBC compliant, and saw some
mention of notesSQL???
</snip>
As far as ODBC, you can query Notes w/ ODBC and also use Notes to query
other sources using ODBC.  Notes does have APIs for handling native
connections so I would suggest going that route (waaay faster).

Notes is a different beast alltogether.  Dunno what you're looking to do...
for a web application Notes can be great, but not for heavy transactions.
Check out
http://www.notes.net/         <--the notes gold forum is a good resource,
also the sandbox has a lot of demo apps that are free for you to use and
build off of
http://www.dominopower.com/   <--good articles

Important things to know when building the app:
-learn about "readers" and "authors" fields
     -these are what you use to control access to the document (record)
-learn how to use "roles" so you don't hard-code groups or names
-learn how to set up the ACL correctly so you keep me from hacking your
site
     -if the ACL is wrong, I could edit your site from the web

Feel free to contact me off list with any questions.  Thing is, Notes can
seem simple up front, but can be very tricky and very annoying.

-Ron