Associate schemes (was Re: [thelist] Re: [thechat] ASP vs. ASP.Net - Anyone made the move?)

Don Makoviney don at aspalliance.com
Tue Oct 2 12:50:08 CDT 2001

I make a little bit of money.

Part of it is due to a grand scheme of mine.

1) Get articles published on a high traffic site.
A site like ASP Alliance is one of the highest trafficked ASP sites on the
web, and their subscriber base for the newsletter is over 20000.
2)Focus on writing book review articles.
That way, you know that the Readers are already expressing an interest in
books - if even a modest interest, it's better than none!
3)Put associate links in the book review articles.
This is good because a) they have better reason than any other time to go
look now. And b) I make it as easy as possible to go check out the book
4)Promote! promote! promote!
Promoting means that whenever there is an opportunity to plug a book. .
.then do so unabashedly. Think about it. Many discussion lists end up
getting archived on the web - often in various locations. These links with
your associate ID are just sitting out there getting indexed over and over
and over again.

I tend to avoid banner ads for my books because no one really "acts" on them
anyways. I like to promote when the link or book usggestion is actually
useful - i.e. when someone is looking for a book, or when a book seems to be
the best answer. This way I don't appear to "trick" people into buying books
(obviously because I am not).

I don't spend ALOT of time promoting - but it nets me about 50 bucks a month
on average. I've had some spikes over a hundred, and other times $10-20. . .
.it all depends on the month.

It's certainly nothing I plan on getting rich off of. . . .

Don Makoviney

ASP/ASP.NET Programmer

ASP Alliance Author
http://www.aspalliance.com/makd/

Makovision: Handpicked Internet News For Web Developers
http://www.makovision.com/

Free 'Cutting Through The Crap' Newsletter
http://www.makovision.com/subs/