[thelist] Let's be a Photographer

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Wed Oct 3 11:37:04 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:  thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org

To:   thelist at lists.evolt.org
cc:

Subject:  [thelist] Let's be a Photographer

>I need to go to a client's and take some photos of her rug hookings
>(http://letshookrugs.com) with my digital camera. I have a couple of
>questions.  I'll take the photos at the second highest resolution (1280 x
>960) available on my camera.

The resolution's plenty fine for laser. 300dpi Dot-Matrix? DM has obviously
improved a *long* way lately.

>I will probably need to modify some of the
>photos after shooting them.  To crop them and centre them, so that they
look
>appropriate.  What else should I do?

Lots of touching up of levels - brightness & contrast in some detail.

The quickest and easiest way (unless you *really* want to get into
hard-core
photo touchup) is via Extensis Intellihance.

I'd also look at some dodging and burning to emphasise the key bits - this
is basic darkroom stuff, but you can do a quick and dirty using white and
black
brushes on a Soft Light layer over the top of the image.

Of course, do all this before you resize at all... Do any resizing in
PhotoShop,
which will be a lot better than Word at this.

>Should I resave them in JPEG
>format and give that to my client to print?

Yes. Save them at the highest quality level as it's a lossy format. Word
imports JPEGs reasonably well. If you have to rework it, work from the
original JPEG file, not any later copies - the lossiness is a bit like
making
photocopies. You wouldn't photocopy a copy of a copy and expect to
maintain quality...

>I would prefer not to save them in native Photoshop format,
>as I don't believe the client has any Adobe image editing programs.

Also the files are very large, and it's asking for trouble with meddlesome
clients doing DIY.

Cheers
Martin

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.