[thelist] Input File Value

Scott Schrantz scotts at rci-nv.com
Fri Oct 5 10:29:11 CDT 2001

The HTML 4.01 Specification says "User agents _may_ use the value of the
value attribute as the initial file name" (emphasis mine). W3 specs are just
recommendations; browser makers can follow or ignore them as they see fit.
Apparently MS and the Mozilla group have seen fit to ignore that part of the
spec, probably for security reasons. Imagine if a website could put a hidden
file control on a form, and get any file they wanted off your computer...not
an ideal situation. It may be valid markup, but the browsers don't support
it, just like <insert your favorite part of the CSS2 spec here>.