[thelist] IE 5.5 upgrade...

Bob Haroche bharoche at usa.net
Fri Oct 5 13:01:01 CDT 2001

> >2) How does IE 5.5 page rendering differ from IE 5.0, or where can I
> >find this info?

5.5 wasn't a major upgrade from 5.0.  CSS rendering is better but for the
average, non-techie user out there, the biggest changes will be a print
preview and colored scrollbars (oh, boy!).

Since most of the changes btwn the two versions seem to be in the handling
of CSS, I've found that my CSS editor (Topstyle) does an excellent job of
telling me what CSS is supported and what isn't btwn the two browsers.

> >3) Can I run IE 5.5 and IE 5.0 (maybe even 4.0) on the same Win 2000
> >machine?

Nope, not without risking serious damage to your OS.  Best solution is to
create a dual boot system (Partition Magic works nicely for this) and load
Win98 first edition onto one partition (this comes with IE 4 built in), and
Win2000 on the other.  Win2k, as you know, comes with IE 5.  Win2k then lets
you choose which OS you want to boot into when you start your computer.

Personally, I haven't found the need the test in 5 versus 5.5.  There just
isn't that much a change. I'm not sure I'll be able to say the same about IE
6, which I've yet to install.

HTH,

Regards,
Bob Haroche