[thelist] RE: Win2K Pro/IIS 5 connection problem (long)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Fri Oct 5 16:56:35 CDT 2001

At 06:29 PM 10/5/2001, you wrote:
>You can now give it an IP address, etc. It works just like a "real"
>network card, it's just not connected to anything else.

Glenn,

I already had the Loopback adapter installed. No, this is a much more
complex problem.

I did some reading and researching on the Net (including the MS KB). I'll
shortly list the various errors I get, but before that, here are some of my
observations:

1) The IIS metabase doesn't seem to exist on my PC. Searching for
metabase.bin returns no results. Uninstalling and reinstalling IIS doesn't
change this.

2) Many of the sites I looked advised me to delete all the files in the
following folder:
D:\WINNT\system32\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys (My Win2K is on drive D)
However, on my PC, there are NO files in this folder. Deleting the folder,
then reinstalling IIS doesn't work. The folder remains empty.

3) The IIS MetaEdit utility pukes with a "fatal error occurred while
connecting to Localhost" message :(

So now let me give you a list of errors I've got:

Error 1 --------- While installing IIS

         Error writing encrypted data to the Web Server's configuration
database (Metabase)

         0x8009000f=Object already exists

         Press 'Retry' to retry or 'Write UnEncrypted' to write the data
unencrypted.
         You can change this data back to encrypted after setup has completed.

Error 2 --------- While starting IIS MMC snap-in

         Error connecting to madhu:
         Do you wish to continue to attempt to connect to it in the future?

Error 3 ---------  While starting WWW service

         Could not start the World Wide Web Publishing service on Local
Computer
         Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified

Error 4 --------- In the event log

         The service metabase path "/LM/W3SVC/" could not be opened
         Unable to enumerate Web sites because the following error occurred:
         Object already exists

------- End of errors

My last hope is to reinstall the OS, but I hate reinstalling. I cling to
the hope that I'll find a solution somehow, some way.

TIA,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant