[thelist] Fed Up!

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Sun Oct 7 17:06:10 CDT 2001

>Many sites have a little "gotcha" in their signup process . This is
>usually a checkbox that says something along the lines of "Site XYZ
>ocassionally sends out special offers from our partners. Uncheck
>this box if you don't want to receive such mail".
>
>The sad part is that this box is almost always checked by default
>and sometimes the language is made really obscure so people won't
>bother reading all of it.

Well, when it comes to newsletters and the like, this would be the
logical thing to do from a marketing perspective. The site is trying
to add value, and encourage return custom, by sending out a
newsletter. If it's unchecked by default, then the user has to be
paying attention :-) -- if it's checked by default then the user has
to break a negative inertia to uncheck it.

But I do *definitely* see your point re the: 'we're going to sell
your address to everyone and their dog' aka 'Site XYZ occasionally
sends out special offers from our partners...'

--
Andrew Forsberg
---