[thelist] text/css mime type set on server

iris laren4 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 06:39:22 CDT 2001

hi evolters

i tried to validate some stylesheets at
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html
and it gave me this error:

"I/O Error: Unknown mime type : text/plain"
first i was wondering if i was doing something wrong
but after a bit of investigation i found this on one
of the w3c mailing lists:

"CSS files are under the mime type text/css, and not
text/plain. I suggest you change the configuration of
your server."

and this at ALA:

"Your CSS files may be properly marked "text/css"
(ours were), but your hosting company may be serving
them as "text/plain" if the systems administrator
("server guy") has not set up the proper MIME types."

so i started hassling the sys admin at the university
where i work about it and he told me there's something
wrong with the validator since all browsers are
displaying it just fine.  i don't think he
understands...

so what can i tell him to make him understand?  or is
he right, it doesn't matter?

iris

=====