[thelist] Logo/Design of Syncasaurus Logo...

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Mon Oct 8 22:55:55 CDT 2001

Let me apologize for the mass mail.

As many of you know, I've started an open source competitor ("Syncasaurus")
to BookmarkSync.com, which has recently decided to move to a pay model.
Whilst the reasons don't stop there, I'm happy to see that members of the
Evolt.org community have stepped forward to support the project, both with
their coding talents and thoughts, as well as some other surprises that
haven't been fully hashed out yet.

This is especially important because of the tight deadline that this
project is under - we need a functional (note: functional is a key word
here) version by November 1st. That doesn't give us much time.

This email is a request for a different kind of support.
We need a logo / design / motif. We need character.

What exactly is Syncasaurus? From the design doc:

 >"Syncasaurus is a crossplatform bookmark synchronizer. It will watch your
 >bookmark entries from various browsers you define, and synchronize any
 >changes with a server. As the user moves from computer to computer, each
 >Syncasaurus-enabled computer will query the server version of the user's
 >bookmarks. Any changes from the server and local versions will be cloned
 >from computer to computer. These synchonization's will be in the user's
 >native browser format - the user will just open up the browser and they'll
 >see the same bookmarks on every machine with Syncasaurus installed. In
 >essence, after installation, they should forget Syncasaurus is there -
 >just content to know that they have the same bookmark environment
 >everywhere."

Thus, I'd like to request your help:

  - possible slogans. the best I've heard so far:
    "Syncasaurus: Saving Your Data From Extinction"

  - logo / character design. create a persona or logo
    for Syncasaurus - something that's memorable, icon-ish,
    etc.

  - possible site designs. i prefer *really* simple, elegant sites.
    take a look at AmphetaDesk: http://www.disobey.com/amphetadeks/

Whilst I can't promise much, I do hope to give some sort of thanks for
those who come up with ideas that eventually make it into the final
product. If you need to contact me offlist for further questions, you may
do so at morbus at disobey.com...

Remember, the deadline for a functional product is November 1st. That means
I'm looking for ideas and submissions pretty quickly - nothing later than
October 20th. You can stay up to date on Syncasaurus development here: