[thelist] dynamic email auto response files

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Tue Oct 9 15:02:15 CDT 2001

At 12:49 PM 10/9/2001, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Sorry if this message shows up twice...it didn't seem to go through the
>first time.
>
>On my server I have text files used for email auto response.  The files are
>named like so: .myMailBox.mydomain.response
>
>What I'd like to do is replace that file with a script that will connect to
>a database and dynamically generate the content of that auto response
>message before it replies to the sender.  Just for the hell of it I tried
>dropping a php script in that file but since it's just a text file the auto
>response I got was just the raw php code...which is what I expected.
>
>Can anyone give me some guidance as to how I might be able to pull this off?

First off, it looks like your ISP is using QMail for their Mail services.
These text files are for Qmail to use as the body messages for auto-responses.

There are ways to run external programs. Here's a place to start:

http://www.lifewithqmail.com/lwq.html#dot-qmail-files

Good Luck.
---
Anthony Baratta