[thelist] Award Winning Site???

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Wed Oct 10 10:51:52 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:  thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org

To:   thelist at lists.evolt.org
cc:

Subject:  RE: [thelist] Award Winning Site???

>>You might want to drop some of the complexity anyway as part of Your
>>Design, particularly if the resticted amount of information you'd be
>>bombarding the user with would make the site more easily graspable
>>(works for Google still, just; used to work for Yahoo. You don't have
>>to copy them though. Compare and contrast with what Altavista's turned
>>into).

>    i totally agree with you, alot of the complications i get are from our
>designers - i am solely a programmer - our designers get the time to
string
>together their nice designs , the customer signs off

In which case your signoff process is broken. Part of it has to be
managing the expectations of the clients that what is produced with
HTML is an interpretation of the flat (Illustrator, Photoshop, whatever)
mockup, and should be subject to a technical proof of concept.

Unless your designers actually work directly with HTML.

>i end up using javascript or asp to
>do different things depending upon the users browser - it can be a pain
and
>normally means i end up being the update guy for the websites i program
cos
>no one else gets what ive done and seems scared to start messing about
with
>the code, but hey i can live with it.

Sure, but it's not sustainable for all content updates to be channeled
through
the limited time available to you. It's a bottleneck and it slows down
changes.

And that's absolutely no reflection on you, it's just a poor way to
organise
site updates.

One of the benefits of a sensible content management system is that
the content and the code are separated, so content editors can't break
things too easily. Although they may need flogging until they learn to
close
paragraph tags.

Cheers
Martin