[thelist] server log software recs

Chris George chrisg at gsnet.com
Wed Oct 10 14:41:27 CDT 2001

Hi kyra,

We used to use WebTrends.  Fed up with reports that took 8+ hours to
generate (and no warning when it produces errors), we moved to Webalyzer.
It was OK, mostly to provide a transition between WebTrends and another
product.  One of the features Management liked to use was the #'s for 'User
Sessions' - which both products have (but named differently).  The down side
was that it was extremely ugly.  Easy to set up and maintain - but ugly.  Or
is that butt ugly.

We set up Analog and Report Magic at the beginning of the month and so far
we're loving it.  Of course, there's a little more setup to do because it's
2 separate packages, but once it's set up the configuration is sooper easy
to do.  The reports it produces are absolutely spectacular with gobs of info
- but no 'user sessions'.

Small price to pay though, especially when you read about the (lack of)
reliability of the definition of a 'user session'.

Anyway. HTH.

Chris.