[thelist] [fwd] SSI or PHP or ? Help/Advise please

Merlene Blacha merlene_blacha at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 13 14:35:42 CDT 2001

This message was held by thelist software and
is being manually forwarded by a list admin.
Please remember to send emails in plain-text
format only, or they will not reach thelist
until it is later forwarded by a list admin.

I have my first major site development contract and I need some advice
please. The site is for a large window and door manufacturer and they
want to post the autocad drawings for all of their styles and models,
this will be a thousand or more large graphics. They also want the
header/navigation to remain the same on each page and therefore instead
of linking directly to the large images (most run larger than 800 x 600
so will scroll) I will have to make an html page to contain the
header/navigation as well as the graphic. Oh yes and they want a
breadcrumb nav below the menu so you always see where you are.

So here is what I want to know. How can I make this happen without
having to create 1000 plus individual pages? How can I use either
virtual includes or php to create the pages "on the fly"? So if a
customer wants to see "vcase_1wide.gif" how can I write this so that it
will dynamically create the page including both the header/nav and the
image?

I have never used PHP although I understand that PHP can be used to do
this sort of thing. I have used virtual include tags to include a txt
file in a page so I know that I could probably use SSI do to this as
well.

Advise anyone? Directions to an online tutorial perhaps?

Thanks in advance,
Merlene Blacha