[thelist] CF -- have a Q need a Tip to clean-up my webs.

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Mon Oct 15 12:07:52 CDT 2001

| My experience has been that simple values (the only of
| which is String in CF) are assigned by value.

Thanks for the compassion. My CF partners around here are all either back to
school or working in other jobs... so, your point raised what my issue
really was that I need other CFites to help refine my approach.

So, a further dissection? If assigning a query to a session scoped variable
is A Good Thing, then shouldn't I see code that wraps the access of the
local variable to which it is assigned in a cflock? Remember the example
was:

<cflock timeout=5 scope=session type=readonly>
	<cfset myqry = session.myqry>
</cflock>

<cfloop query=myqry>
	<!-- gives a locking error... -->
</cfloop>

Well, when I look at code which advocates storing queries in scoped
variables, this doesn't seem to be done. Perhaps the goodness of the storage
should be thrown into question? Perhaps the assignment to a local variable?
Or rather it is that cflocks should become a more frequent role in the cast
of my code in the drama of this project?

<rory disposition="inquisitive" alt="8)"/>