[thelist] How to split a long text file into separate files

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Mon Oct 15 16:13:07 CDT 2001

At 11:43 AM 10/15/2001, you wrote:
>Listers,
>
>I have this long text file,
>The result of a mail merge from an excel document.
>
>The data in the excel doc needs to be made available on a web site. There is
>no server side scripting available.
>
>I created a neat and clean table layout to hold the data, brought the html
>into word, then merged with the data in the excel doc to produce a long
>document with 69 tables, then saved as text.
>
>I want each table in a separate file.
>
>Short of an afternoon of copying and pasting, is there a handy way to
>(automated) way to hack the document into parts? Possibly using emacs or
>something similar?
>
>Each table is proceeded by a comment tag, and followed by two line breaks
>like so...
>
><!--Record Number:1-->
>Foo
>
>Thoughts?

Michael,

A couple of years ago I had a huge Excel file from a client with listings
(company names and locations) that needed to go onto the Web. While still
in Excel, I could tell Excel which fields to convert to HTML. So I split up
the information that way, and Excel converted it all to HTML tables that I
added to separate pages. Worked fine.

So I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding what you're doing here. I'm not
sure what you're doing with Word and why you're taking the document there
first. Is there information in Word that you need also?

Warmly,
Shirley

--
Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.