[thelist] How to split a long text file into separate files

Michael Barrett mbarrett at triad.rr.com
Mon Oct 15 16:47:18 CDT 2001

> A couple of years ago I had a huge Excel file from a client with listings
> (company names and locations) that needed to go onto the Web. While still
> in Excel, I could tell Excel which fields to convert to HTML. So I split up
> the information that way, and Excel converted it all to HTML tables that I
> added to separate pages. Worked fine.
I should probably clarify that I'm using Excel 2001 on the Mac, and the only
save for HTML function I've found is severely limited.

It basically dumps the entire sheet into one big table, I haven't found any
tools for customizing it.

The spreadsheet is *very* wide, lots of columns, so a default export to html
table is unreadable.

I'm wanting to avoid a giant 500K page of information, and reformatting the
data so that one record appears per page seems like the best choice.

I mail-merged into word to quickly populate html tables, formatted to nicely
fit into an existing page layout.
With about 70 records, with 20 columns a piece, this makes a big fat
document.

I'm looking for a speedy way to chop the page up into individual files, so I
don't have to spend a whole night copying, pasting, saving, and repeating.

--
Michael Barrett
-O^O-

mbarrett at triad.rr.com