[thelist] Javascript LWP ?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Wed Oct 17 14:24:56 CDT 2001

At 6:56 PM 10/16/1, Michael Pemberton wrote:
>> This is one of the places where Flash is handy, because it can do live
>> network requests and display the results without reloading the page.
>
> But doesn't this still leave you with only support in browsers that
> can do LiveConnect?

Hmm, you'd only need to speak to the browser if you wanted the browser to
do or display something. If you put the media and the interactivity inside
the SWF, then you can do the live data retrieval and display right within
it, and wouldn't need the browser to communicate with its plugins.

(Background: "LiveConnect" is a technique introduced in Netscape 3 where
Java could help JavaScript talk with Netscape Plugins. This was changed in
the Netscape 6 versions and is not yet fully implemented. IE3/Win
introduced a parallel technique for ActiveX Controls. IE/Mac, Opera and
most other browsers do not offer a way for the browser's scripting language
to talk with plugins or other objects on the page.)

That technique David mentioned, of submitting data via an IMG SRC change
and then reading back a cookie sounds ingenious. I'm still not sure of the
overall goal, but if you're seeking changing displays of live data without
page refreshes, then Java applets, Flash and certain other plugins can do
this.

jd