[thelist] CF: List Manipulations

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Wed Oct 17 20:19:47 CDT 2001

Frank asked:

| 1) I want to make it a little more robust, so that if the list is
| somehow inconsistent that it returns an error. Can someone suggest
| how I may go about verifying the consistency of a list?

Consistency? I'm sorry, I don't think I see what you mean here...
Could you help me by explaining what it needs to be consistent with?

| 2) I've been trying to figure out how to get my app to identify what
| delimits a list. Imagine I have a list of emails, delimited by
| commas. From a machine point of view '@', '.' or ',' might be the
| delimiters. Now if one of the emails happens to be missing with '@'
| or the '.', once can see how quickly a problem could arise.
|
| I currently get the user to tell the app what the delimiter is, but I
| want to dummy proof as well as error proof. Can someone suggest how I
| could determine the delimiter of a list?

In CF List* functions, you can specify the optional "delimiters" parameter,
which can be a string of delimiters. For instance, ListFind(myList, myValue,
",.;") will believe that the string "this;is,my.list-dude!" is a list of
values "this", "is", "my" and "list-dude!".

HTH!

<rory disposition="rather be in duckland" alt="8\"/>