[thelist] CF: List Manipulations

Joshua Olson joshua at alphashop.com
Thu Oct 18 08:09:37 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Raymond Camden" <jedimaster at macromedia.com>
Subject: RE: [thelist] CF: List Manipulations

: > If you are truly trying to get the application to figure out
: > which delimters are used when you have no idea of what they
: > could be, CF may be the wrong language.
:
: (This is for Joshua)
: Why? This sounds like a basic logic issue. I have a string, what are the
: delimiters? To be honest, I've never run across a case where I didn't
: know at design time what my delimiters are... but let's say that the
: first line in a file signifies the delimiter(s). Ok, no problem. Just
: use that when doing your listfuncs in CF.

I was responding to the original post, which read:

: 2) I've been trying to figure out how to get my app to identify what
: delimits a list. ...

If that is truly what was meant, it's no trivial task.  The human mind can
usually look at a string and decide readily if it's pipe delimited, comma,
tab or otherwise delimited.  Computers have a little tougher time with that
distinction... hence my reply.

-joshua