[thelist] ColdFusion performance

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Thu Oct 18 17:03:30 CDT 2001

Hola -

Linux2.4.7, apache 1.3.20, CF4.5.2 800Mhz P3, 1GB RAM, 15k cheetah SCSI
drives RAID1

I'm benchmarking a CF page with ab(apache bench) that has about 15
queries and takes ~800msecs to complete when run by itself..

I've run about 10 different combinations of benchmarks(not by any means
scientific) varying the concurrency level, number of requests, etc. e.g.
2000 requests with 20 concurrent connections, 500 requests with 5
concurrent connections, 1000 reqs with 15 cc's and so on..

My question is, has anyone else tried similar benchmarks against their
CF systems? If so, what did you find? Regardless of what combination of
concurrent connections and reqs I use, I'm finding that CF hits a
ceiling at about 3.25 requests/second and ends up taking about 6000msec
for the last connection..

Not that thats *bad* mind you, just wondering what - if anything - other
people have seen.  I'm not even seeing the DB(on a seperatle, equally
buff machine connected via fiber) go above 30% CPU usage or using any
more memory(which i would expect), so I have strong feeling its not the
DB CF is waiting on ..

I understand CF5 is supposed to be much 'faster', especially on Linux,
but haven't really seen anything technical to back this up yet..

Any insights or similar stories would be appreciated :)

.djc.