[thelist] weird user stats

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 07:51:02 CDT 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:54:44 +0100, <martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com>
wrote:

> Does Junkbusters also allow a user to mask the remote IP &
> other parts of the client's input to the HTTP handshake?

Hmm... not sure, never tried to do that.

Aha, wait a sec:

>From http://www.junkbusters.com/ht/en/ijbfaq.html

Does the Internet Junkbuster conceal my IP address?

Web sites get the IP address of any proxy or browser they serve pages
to. If you run the proxy on your own computer the IP address disclosed
is the same as your browser would, unless you use the forwardfile option
is used to chain to another proxy, in which case servers only get the
last IP address in the chain. Chaining slightly slows browsing of
course, but it improves anonymity.

So in theory, yeah... if you could route through another machine who's
IP you didn't mind being revealed... hell, chain it through a whole
bunch of them, like they do in films like "Sneakers" *:)

More info on the forwardfile option:
http://www.junkbusters.com/ht/en/ijbman.html#forwardfile

G.