[thelist] your opinion solicited on coding specs I requested from contractor

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Mon Oct 22 10:13:40 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Or better, not to use classes to replace semantic or structural info, so
instead of
use
<h2 class="intro_title">
The class styles the structrual tag. This is actually part of the WAI
guidelines -
you should use semantic/structural markup wherever possible.

Worse is where people do this kind of rubbish:
(it's pretty common out of GoLive)

If .foo has a different leading value or font size, the last line will
be oddly leaded.

Instead, do

And don't get me started on people who recreate the look of
hierarchical lists with tables... (minor exception where lack of
width is a factor and the client insists on 3+ levels of list, say
in a nav bar)

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:  thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org

To:   thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject:  Re: [thelist] your opinion solicited on coding specs I requested
      from contractor

Sorry, I'm a bit late with this, but I'd add two things to your specs.

2. Specify that they must use classes that are a description of the style,
not
what the style is used for. For example, instead of using <span
class="Intro_title">Hello world!</span> They should put <strong
class="large_bold">Hello world!</strong>. I find that CSS, especially in a
large project with different people using it at different times gets very
confusing. So people end up using <span class="Intro_title"> on things that
are
not an introduction or a title, or they make up a new class, exactly the
same
as intro_title and your style sheets become unmanageable and redundant.