[thelist] submenu's in dropdown menu's?

Marius van Dam marius at vandam.nu
Tue Oct 23 18:13:33 CDT 2001

Dear evolters,

A short while ago I saw in a site drop-down menu's that contained
submenu's just like we know them from the menubar in mac os or the
windows task bar and many DHTML implementations in websites.

When I checked the source I saw this menu was made using a simple
<select> tag, and another special tag for the submenu's.

For example:
<select>
   <option>
   <the-tag-i'm-looking-for>
     <option>
     <option>
   </the-tag-i'm-looking-for>
</select>

This would generate a menu with 1 option and one submenu which contains
2 options.

Now, a few weeks later, problem arises to which such a menu with
submenu's might be the answer. Problem is, I don't remember where I saw
them!

Does anyone know what the correct markup should be for such a menu?
Is it well supported by browsers?

Thanks!

Marius