[thelist] MSN locks out non IE browsers

Jeremy Ashcraft ashcraft at 13monkeys.com
Fri Oct 26 03:53:48 CDT 2001

Looks like M$ backed down from shutting out the "non-compliant" browsers......

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7660935.html?tag=tp_pr

I still can't believe they pulled some shit like that.  Its not up to
Microsoft to tell me what browser i can use.  If I want to surf using Opera,
Mozilla, lynx, whatever, that's my choice, not theirs!  I'm a faithful
Mozilla/Konqueror user.  I know that some sites don't look right due to
browser limitations(or shitty design), and I accept that since it was MY
choice to use that particular browser.

<flame on>
Its just another damn ploy to get everyone using XP one way or another.
<flame off>

Its really has nothing to do with IE6.  If they wanted to corner the browser
market, they'd make a great cross platform browser(which they don't).  Think
about it.  In M$'s grand scheme of things, everyone would be using IE6
,Windoze Media Player for movies, music, etc, Hotmail for email, MSN
messenger for IM, Passport, MS Office(via .NET eventually), so on and so on
for any M$ piece of software.  This was just another venture into this type
of prodding to the end user.  You've got to see at some point M$ is going to
build an incompatibility into everything to where the only alternative will
be to jump through whatever hoops they put in front of you, spending $$ the
whole way.

I've got no problem with M$ trying to make money.  I have a problem with
their methods.  They want to dictate when and what I spend my $$ on(not that
i've given them a red cent).  They're even pulling this shit at the corporate
level.  anyways, i'm tired and out of smokes.

sorry for the rant

jeremy

tip coming when my cigs get replenished