[thelist] MSN locks out non IE browsers

Jeremy Ashcraft ashcraft at 13monkeys.com
Fri Oct 26 15:45:10 CDT 2001

On Fri, 2001-10-26 at 13:29, .jeff wrote:

> why is it that because msn has a huge marketshare of web users that people
> start thinking msn is bound by some sort of service level agreement which
> includes being accessible to any browser anybody wants to use to view it?
> that's a big, fat stinking pile of horse biscuits.

They're not, but they ARE forcing me to use their latest and greatest
browser to view their site.  Who is MSN to dictate what browser I use to
view their content?  What's wrong with a popup telling me the site may
not function or appear correctly with the browser I use?  The standards
compliance front is BS.  Why are they specifying that you need a
compliant browser when they allow NN4.7?  I though IE5.5 on the Mac was
compliant, but its not getting in.  M$ just wants MSN to become AOL.  I
don't want to seem like one of those "communist" linux zealots(which I
am), but M$ continues to thumb its nose at the justice department and
keeps up the same practices its already been found guilty of.

jeremy