[thelist] in house networking for CF Server ++

Kevin krr at ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 29 20:54:16 CST 2001

I am pretty sure this is considered off topic so I posted a
pretty good tip a few minutes ago!

I am looking for tips, advice, best practices for setting up a
client server relationship between my older PII 333 celeron
and my newer K7V AMD 550.

I would like  to carry my McAfee Virus, Zone Alarm
firewall, ADSL and also IIs - PWS server for my CF
web applications. The main focus is to take some of the
work load off my current computer. When I tried to run virus,
firewall, and ADSL along with win2k and CF Server my computer
came to a crawl.

Is there anything special I would need to know to set this up?
Any links that can give me a synopsis of what and where I would
need to go so that I can get up to speed in a reasonable amount of
time?

My primary computer is:
Windows 2000
AMD 550 133mhz K7V 900mb's sdram
Voodoo 3 2000
Intel 10/100 nic
40 gig 100ata 5400rpm

My secondary - aka server
Windows 98se
PII 333 celeron 160mb's ram
onboard audio and video
** need nic card **
20 gig ata 66 7200rpm  mobo is fixed at "ata 33"

The other question is do I need a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse
for this setup? I know next to nothing about setting something like this up.
I did setup a shared configuration for HDD's, and printers between the
three computers in house, but I think I would like to create a client -
server
relationship for my new setup if this is possible.

any insight appreciated

Thank You
Kevin