[thelist] mySQL woes

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 07:54:56 CST 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:20:12 -0500, Michael Goddard
<michael at tdh-marketing.com> wrote:

> Oh $%#^! What the heck have I done! was my first thought.  Then I
> calmly  went about re-installing mySQL to the server.  Since we have
not set
> up  anything live at this point, I thought well I could use the
practice
> anyway and I can chalk it up as experience.  Well the re-install did
> not work!  The mysql database is still missing!  And I cannot access
> the database via any user or even the root, except for the test
> database and that is only via PHPmyAdmin.

When you say that you've re-installed mySQL, I'm guessing you have CLI
access to the box? How did you do the install? RPM's, compiled from
source?

Anyway, have you run mysql_install_db to set up all the default perms?

[garrett at cincinnati garrett]$ more `which mysql_install_db`[1]
#!/bin/sh
# This scripts creates the privilege tables db, host, user, tables_priv,
# columns_priv in the mysql database, as well as the func table.

That might be your problem.

HTH

G.

[1] The backticks (`) expand the comand inside them and pass the result
to more.

[garrett at cincinnati garrett]$ which mysql_install_db
/usr/bin/mysql_install_db

Nifty *nix trick number 376.