[thelist] Lindows?

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Thu Nov 1 09:41:22 CST 2001

Hey Kathleen -

Read up a bit on it the other day, sounds pretty nice(although I'd have
to see it first :) for desktop users who want to escape some of the
things of MS, but not all. It will probably be a linux system with a
nice GUI like KDE and pre-configed to make win users feel comfortable..
Also have some pre-installed applications like OpenOffice, NS6.2, etc..
for productivity.

All the running of the windows software will be handled(more than
likely) by WINE( http://www.winehq.com/ ).. its linux software that is
basically a compatibility layer between linux and windows software, if
that makes any sense :)

the nice thing about this kind of setup is the fact that a lot of people
in corprate enviornments for example don't need Win2k or WinXp and the
IT dept doesn't want to have to pay the licensing fees for it. A good
example is a friend of mine who's an IT director at a decent sized
company(750 people). He *hates* the fact that he has to pay full
licensing costs for 10 people in the mail room, 5 in shipping, and 15
secretaries to use Windows2000. they really don't need all the benefits
of an operating system like that.. its kinda overkill actually. so, if
he could wipe out 30 Windows2000 licenses, while still letting people
run the applications they use(email basically), that would Be A Good
Thing :)

thats just one example btw :)

its probably going to be that first baby step that alot of people take
in the journey away from a totally MS based enviornment..

.djc.

=