[thelist] Possible to validate HTML with Flash?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Thu Nov 1 14:16:03 CST 2001

At 12:07 PM 11/1/1, Paul Peterson wrote:
>I am constructing a page in HTML 4.01 Transitional which includes a SWF
>file. I am using both the OBJECT and EMBED tags to enable the animation in
>IE and Netscape. However, when I use the W3C Validator, I get the error
>message saying that the EMBED element is "not defined in this version".

Depends on what you're validating against. The HTML 4.0+ spec doesn't like
the "EMBED" tag, while the various realworld browsers do.

If you're validating against the browsers then a nested OBJECT/EMBED
structure is the way to go. If you're validating against the spec then that
will introduce conflicts with the various realworld browsers.

jd