[thelist] computer power consumption stats

spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Thu Nov 1 22:28:04 CST 2001

Know of any online info re: how much power a computer uses when it's in full
power-saving mode? Seems the local utility co told my wife that a potential
cause of our larger electric bill is 'increased computer use' and now she
insists that all machines be shut down every night. Including my server. I
really need some comparison to a normal household item, e.g. 'in power save
mode, a computer uses the same electricity as a 40 watt light bulb' would be
nice.

spinhead

Okay, so I have 9 computers. That's not excessive is it? It's only 1.5 per
person.