[thelist] computer power consumption stats

me me at cgiguy.com
Mon Nov 5 11:15:27 CST 2001

spin,

if ya want accurate numbers about power consumption,
there is really only one way to get 'em...

turn off *everything* electric in the house.
take a meter reading
run a single computer for say ten minutes.
take another meter reading.
call light company, get current electric rate.
calculate rate per minute/hour/etc.

i am sure that these numbers would be of interest
to many computer users.

now, do the same thing for ten mins with a
server that is "sleeping" and then do it again while
the server is experiencing heavy activity.

and you could do a test with all of your servers
running.

the numbers that you are getting from the light
company are most likely not accurate. get
yer own. then and only then will ya know for sure.

of course though, i rarely ever use anybody else's
numbers for anything. i can only remember two
times that i have ever used somebody else's
source code. one was for some ssh code and
the other was for a recent credit card luhn validation
routine. i like numbers. in my current programming
efforts i keep track of how many ten thousandths of a
second each functions takes to execute. it makes for
some really cool low level tweeking.

but really though, its been my experience that when
the ol spouse is complaining about something simple
like the light bill, maybe she is really frustrated about
something else... go figure..

me.